- Congress Terminates All Grants for Successful School Improvement Program
- Michigan Schools in the Middle Wins Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence
- Middle School Turnaround: A Model for Excellence in the Middle Grades
- Middle Start Applauds Mayors’ Pledge to Increase Involvement in Public Schools
- Middle Start Calls for More Research About Middle-Grades Education
- Middle Start Featured on NPR’s All Things Considered
- Middle Start Leader Named Arkansas ‘Teacher of the Year’
- Middle Start Marks One-Year Anniversary of NCLB by Recognizing the Act’s Worthy Goals
- Middle Start School Featured in Teaching Today
- Middle Start Seen as Making a Positive Difference in Middle Grades
- Middle Start Teacher Recognized for Teacher Appreciation Week
- Middle Start’s Publishing Efforts Are Recognized
- NYC Principals and Teachers Travel to Michigan to See Middle-Grades School Improvement in Action
- School-Improvement Program Meets Blue Ribbon Panel’s Standards for Effectiveness
Research & Reports
- Bush Education Funding Fails the Test
This report outlines how the President’s budget fails to support students in elementary and secondary education, special education, and higher education.
- Evidence of Effectiveness
The true measure of any school reform effort is whether it made a difference in teacher practice and student achievement. In the case of Middle Start, research indicates that it has. Over a history spanning more than a decade, Middle Start has steadily improved teacher and student performance, as indicated by better test scores in the gatekeeper subjects of reading and math and increased school capacity to support and sustain innovative reform. Read this report to learn more.
- Integrating Districts in Comprehensive School Reform
- Middle South Middle Start: Studies of Three Middle Start Schools in the Mid South Delta
A full report funded by the Foundation for the Mid South highlights the challenges of implementing a comprehensive reform effort, given existing educational improvement initiative, external pressures and circumstances.
- Middle Start Schools Striving for Excellence
A full report funded by the Foundation for the Mid South concentrates on the essential elements for schoolwide improvement. The report features schools’ successes and challenges in implementing Middle Start.
- Middle Start Snapshots
- Middle Start: Implementation, Impact, and Lessons Learned, 2003-2006
This report evaluates the Middle Start program implemented in Michigan middle schools during 2003-2006. The report was written by Dr. H. Dickson Corbett and Dr. Bruce Wilson who served as independent third-party evaluators for the Middle Start Comprehensive School Reform (CSI) program.
- Portrait of Lake Middle School, an Urban Middle Start CSRD School
- Recent Research on Comprehensive School Reform: What’s Working, What’s Needed
This report offers a powerful reminder that evidence on the efficacy of a number of comprehensive school reform and improvement programs continues to mount – out of the political spotlight, perhaps, but important, nonetheless. Certainly, this research needs to be center stage in the effort to create better schools for the nation’s children.
- Strategic Alliances in Mid South Middle Start: Building Capacity, Creating a Movement
- Voices from Middle Start: Developing Learning Communities
Academic Rigor and Differentiated Instruction
Middle School Leadership Project
- AED Leadership Fellows Program: Introductory Letter for Principals
To introduce Principals to the AED Leadership Fellows Program, so they can support their Assistant Principals through the application process.
- AED Leadership Fellows Program: Letter of Commitment from Supporting Principals
Principals must submit this commitment letter to demonstrate their willingness to support their Assistant Principal who is applying to the Leadership Fellows Program.
- AED Leadership Fellows Program: Letter of Reference from a Colleague/Peer
In order for an experienced Assistant Principal to be eligible for the AED Leadership Fellows Program, they need a colleague or peer to complete a reference letter. This document provides the requirements for this letter.
- AED Leadership Fellows Program: Letter of Reference from Supporting Principals
Principals must complete and submit this reference letter tin order for their Assistant Principal to be eligible for the Leadership Fellows Program.
- An Introduction to the Leadership Fellows Program
This powerpoint presentation provides an overview of the AED Leadership Fellows program.
- An Introduction to the Partners in Leadership Program
This is a powerpoint presentation that introduces the Partners in Leadership program.
- Full Application Packet for the AED Leadership Fellows Project
This is a full application packet for experienced assistant principals in the Bronx who are interested in participating in AED’s USDOE-funded leadership project focused on preparing APs to make a successful transition to a middle grades principal position.
- Full Application Packet for the AED Partners in Leadership Project
This is a full application packet for Principals in the Bronx who are interested in participating (with their APs and/or leadership teams) in AED’s USDOE-funded leadership project focused on providing professional development around school leadership and highly effective middle grades schools.
- Leadership Fellows Program Flyer
Flyer describes the Leadership Fellows Program.
- Middle School Leadership Project Flyer
Flyer describes the Middle School Leadership Project consisting of the Partners in Leadership Program and the AED Leadership Fellows Program.
- Partners in Leadership Program Flyer
Flyer describes the Partners in Leadership Program.