FHI 360’s Middle School Leadership Project (MSLP) is a fully-funded USDOE School Leadership Program focused on developing and supporting leadership in New York City middle grades schools. This comprehensive leadership development consists of two components: the Partners in Leadership Program, (providing professional development and middle grades expertise to participating principals and assistant principals) and the FHI 360 Leadership Fellows Program (preparing experienced assistant principals to become highly effective middle grades principals).
Partners in Leadership Program
Partners in Leadership are supported during this 20-month program by cohort participation, individual leadership coaches, program instructors, thought partners and national experts.
Partners in Leadership refine their leadership skills and build expertise in educating adolescents by participating in monthly professional learning events. There are both multiple-session afternoon sessions and full-day and multi-day institutes.
- Multiple session afternoon institutes:
- Professional Communities that Support Young Adolescents.
- Indicators for Success: Interventions and Supports for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning.
- The Leader’s Role in Using Data and Inquiry to Support Students, Teachers and Planning.
- Talking to Each Other: Confronting Conflict and Using Feedback to Build a Supportive Culture.
- Full and Multi-Day Off-Site Institutes:
- Education Leadership Development Program at the Center for Creative Leadership
- How to Lead Change and Influence All Members of Your School Community
- Improving Student Achievement Through Teacher Observation and Feedback
- Supporting Social and Emotional Development for Students, Faculty and Self: A Focus on Resilience and Health
- Understanding Cultural Competence and Becoming a Culturally Competent Leader
- Time Management for Leaders: How to Get More Done in Less Time
- Strategic Use of Resources
FHI 360 Leadership Fellows Program
This highly selective 12-month program prepares experienced assistant principals to make a successful transition to a middle grades principal position. APs accepted into the program participate in a rigorous, cohort-based program that includes the following components:
- Monthly Evening Classes build Fellows’ leadership capacity and increase their expertise in leading a school that will successfully educate urban adolescents. Classes are relevant and active, and include professional reading, peer presentations, and significant feedback.
- Off-Site Retreats include a Multi-District Leadership Institute at the Center for Creative Leadership designed to quickly focus Fellows on understanding and developing their own leadership styles and skills and a Fellows only retreat exploring the characteristics, systems and structures of high performing middle grades schools.
- Full-Day Institutes and Special Programs are offered each semester, the first on building a vision for a successful middle grades school and the second on using data and inquiry to strengthen teaching and learning.
- In-School Experience and Residency Projects which are aligned with the New York City Leadership Competencies and the Blueprint for Middle School Success, give Fellows an opportunity to practice their developing leadership skills and behaviors and middle grades expertise in their schools.
- Creation and Presentation of a Leadership Portfolio aligned with the New York City School Leadership Competencies.
- Targeted Special Support, including preparation for the Principal Pool Selection Process and for Principal Interviews.
Graduates of the Fellows Program are included within and supported by the NYC Department of Education’s principal placement support program and are matched to appropriate principal position openings.
FHI 360 will be selecting applications from middle grades schools across New York City.
Leadership Fellows Program: Class Sessions will be held in the Bronx.
You are eligible to participate if you are:
- A principal or assistant principal.
- From a middle grades school (6-8, 6-12, & K-8).
- Committed to equity for all; lifelong learning; reflection and continuous improvement.
To Learn More About the FHI 360 Leadership Fellows Program:
Experienced assistant principals should attend an Informational Meeting
- 4:45 to 6:00, June 12, 2012
- Community School District 7, 501 Courtland Ave., Bronx, NY
- 4:45 to 6:00, June 13, 2012
- Corlears Educational Complex, 220 Henry Street, New York, NY